Teller County Clerk & Recorder's Office

Apply in person

Apply for a marriage license in person at a county clerk's office:

    • Cripple Creek: 101 W. Bennett Avenue from 8:00am-4:15pm
    • Woodland Park: 800 Research Drive - Tamarac Business Center from 7:30am-11:30am


Both applicants must provide the following to obtain a marriage license:
    • Proof of ID with date of birth:
          • Valid U.S. driver's license, passport, original or certified copy of a birth certificate (Please note the name on the marriage license will appear
             exactly as it is on the ID you provide.
          • Social Security Number - If applicant does not have a Social Security Number, the applicant must complete the Sworn Statement Affidavit
    • $30 fee for the license -cash or check only
    • $1.25 for certified copy of the Marriage application, which is needed to change the last name of either party.
If one applicant cannot appear in person, the other applicant must apply in person and provide the following:

    • Absentee application completed, signed and notarized (view instructions)
    • Copy of the absent party's ID used for notarizing the affidavit

Divorced Applicants

If either applicant is divorced, provide the following in addition to the items listed above:
    • Date of divorce (month/day/year)
    • Place of divorce (city and state)
    • Type of court for the divorce

Widowed Applicants

If either applicant is widowed, provide the following in addition to the items detailed above:
    • Date of death (month/day/year)
    • Place of death (city and state)

Age Requirements

Applicants for a marriage license must be 18 years of age or older. Applicants who are 16 and 17 years of age require consent from one of the following categories:
    • Both parents (or parent with legal custody)
    • Guardian
    • Judicial approval
Parents or Guardians: you must complete, sign and notarize the parental or guardian consent form.

Applicants 15 years of age and under require a court order and consent of both parents (or parent/guardian with legal custody).


Marriages are prohibited if an applicant is already married or between the following:
    • Ancestor and descendant
    • Brother and sister
    • Uncle and niece
    • Aunt and nephew

Marriage License Details

    • Marriage licenses must be used within 35 days from the date of issue
    • Marriage licenses may be obtained in any county, regardless of where the ceremony will take place in Colorado
    • Blood tests are not required

Marriage licenses issued in Teller County must returned to PO Box 1010 Cripple Creek, CO 80813 within 63 days. 
If not returned, late fees may be incurred up to $50.00

E-mail your questions regarding Marriage Licenses

   • Please submit a written request or request in person with the names of both parties, and date of the marriage in addition to the appropriate fees.   
   • Fee is $1.25 per copy plus self-addressed stamped return envelope
   • Copies may be requested in person at either Clerk & Recorder's office.