Apply in person
Apply for a marriage license in person at a county clerk's office:
• Cripple Creek: 101 W. Bennett Avenue from 8:00am-4:15pm
• Woodland Park: 800 Research Drive - Tamarac Business Center from 7:30am-11:30am
Both applicants must provide the following to obtain a marriage license:
• Proof of ID with date of birth:
• Valid U.S. driver's license, passport, original or certified copy of a birth certificate. Please note the name on the marriage license will appear exactly as it is on the ID you provide.
• Social Security Number - If applicant does not have a Social Security Number, the applicant must complete the Sworn Statement Affidavit
• $30 fee for the license -cash or check only
• $1.25 for certified copy of the Marriage application, which is needed to change the last name of either party.
If one applicant cannot appear in person, the other applicant must apply in person and provide the following:
• Absentee application completed, signed and notarized (view instructions)
• Copy of the absent party's ID used for notarizing the affidavit
If either applicant has previously been married or has previously been party to a civil union, provide the following in addition to the items listed above:
• Name of previous spouse or partner
• Date of divorce or dissolution (month/day/year)
• Place of divorce or dissolution (city and state)
• Type of court for the divorce or dissolution
If either applicant is widowed, provide the following in addition to the items detailed above:
• Date of death (month/day/year)
• Place of death (city and state)
Applicants for a marriage license must be 18 years of age or older. Applicants who are 16 and 17 years of age require consent from one of the following categories:
• Both parents (or parent with legal custody)
• Judicial approval
Parents or Guardians: you must complete, sign and notarize the parental or guardian consent form.
Applicants 15 years of age and under require a court order and consent of both parents (or parent/guardian with legal custody).
Marriages are prohibited if an applicant is already married or in another civil union.
Marriages between the following are also prohibited:
• Ancestor and descendant
• Uncle and niece or uncle and nephew
• Aunt and nephew or aunt and niece
Marriage License Details
• Marriage licenses must be used within 35 days from the date of issue
• Marriage licenses may be obtained in any county, regardless of where the ceremony will take place in Colorado
• Blood tests are not required
Marriage licenses issued in Teller County must returned to:
Teller County Clerk and Recorder
PO Box 1010
Cripple Creek, CO 80813 - within 63 days.
If not returned within 63 days, late fees may be incurred up to $50.00
Copies of Marriage Licenses
• Please submit a written request with the names of both parties, and date of the marriage in addition to the appropriate fees to PO Box 1010 Cripple Creek, CO 80813
• Fee is $1.25 per certified copy plus self-addressed stamped return envelope
• Copies may be requested in person at either Clerk and Recorder's office.
E-mail your questions regarding Marriage Licenses