112 North "A" Street - Room #15
Cripple Creek, CO 80813
Hours: By Appointment Only
Mailing Address: PO Box 959, Cripple Creek, CO 80813
Kayla Daugherty - Coroner
Cell: (719) 641.2469
Fax: (719) 623.3945
Al Born - Deputy Coroner
Office: (719) 687.9778
Cell: (719) 200.5837
Fax: (719) 687.2040
Chris Cooperrider - Deputy Coroner
Cell: (719) 659-7361
Fax: (719) 623-3945
The Mission of the Office of the Coroner of Teller County, in compliance with Colorado Revised Statute 30-10-601 through 30-10-622, is:
• To accurately determine the manner and the cause of death of individuals that die within the statutory jurisdiction of the office; to provide fair, ethical, and competent investigation of death performed by qualified and trained individuals, in accordance with the accepted medicolegal death investigation professional standards, ensuring the integrity of the investigation.
• To assist the grieving in the loss of a loved one.
• To earn and hold the trust and respect of the citizens that we are privileged and honored to serve.
Overview of the Coroner's Office
The Coroner’s Office investigates all sudden and/or unattended deaths throughout the county. Through an investigation, a determination is made as to the cause and manner of death.
The Coroner’s Office is responsible for:
• Identification of the deceased
• Notification of a death to the family
• Completion of a medicolegal investigation of the death
• The Teller County Coroner carries out the medicolegal death investigation process via:
◦ Evaluation of deceased's medical history
◦ Interview of witnesses, family, friends, neighbors, etc.
◦ Determination of autopsy need and attendance at those needed
◦ Toxicology, radiology, fingerprint ID, as needed
◦ Use of forensic experts in fields of pathology, genetics, etc.
• Distributing accurate and timely information to family members, health care professionals, insurance companies, and the public through the media and news release
• Determining the cause and manner of death
• Completion of Death Certificate