Teller County Coroner's Office
Al Born RPh, MS - Coroner
Deputy Coroners: Darlene Grippo and Hilary LaBarre
The Office of County Coroner is an elective office
mandated by C.R.S. 30-10-601. The Coroner documents the cause and manner
of all Teller County deaths.
The Coroner's duties include:
◦ Pronouncement of death
◦ Death scene investigation, as needed
◦ Notification of next-of-kin
◦ Identification of deceased
◦ Medicolegal investigation* of the death
◦ Determination of need for autopsy & other tests
◦ Determination of cause & manner of death
◦ Completion of Death Certificate
*The Teller County Coroner carries out the medicolegal death investigation process via:
◦ Evaluation of deceased's medical history
◦ Interview of witnesses, family, friends, neighbors, etc.
◦ Autopsy, as needed
◦ Toxicology, radiology, fingerprint ID, as needed
◦ Use of forensic experts in fields of pathology, genetics, etc.
Teller County Coroner's Office Facts & Information
"The high percentage of 'Natural' deaths underscores the need to
have a Coroner with an extensive clinical background so that the deceased's
medical history is readily understandable and an accurate cause of death can be
determined without resorting to a costly and unnecessary autopsy."