Teller County DSS Foster Care Program
P.O. Box 7245 / 800 Research Dr., Suite 100
Tamarac Business Center
Woodland Park, CO 80863-7245
Foster Care/Adoption Coordinator
“Help a child with the greatest adventure: LIFE! Be a Foster Parent.”
What is Foster Care?
Foster care means the placement of a child into the legal custody or legal authority of a county department of human/social services for physical placement of a child in a certified or licensed facility.
Foster care is intended to provide a substitute family for children for a temporary period of time, during which the family can work towards the goal of reunification.
Foster care is not a punishment for behavior and children in foster care are not bad. Children in foster care may have a variety of behaviors as a result
of being abused and/or neglected; such as differed appearance due to physical abuse (bruises/cuts, low weight), parent-like behavior, hoarding food, shy and reserved, very talkative, etc.
Children and Youth may need foster care placements for a variety of reasons:
• They have been emotionally, physically, or sexually abused
• They have been neglected medically, educationally, or a parent fails to protect them from abuse or neglect
• The physical or mental incapacity of their parent(s) creates an unsafe situation
• They have been abandoned
• The drug, alcohol, or other chemical abuse by their parent(s) has created an unsafe environment for the child
• Injurious environment
• Youth in conflict
• When a child has been deemed beyond the control of his/her parent(s)