Teller County Clerk & Recorder's Office

Apply for Civil Union License

Apply in person

Apply for a civil union license in person by 4:15 p.m. at a county clerk's office:
    • Cripple Creek: 101 W. Bennett Avenue
    • Woodland Park: 800 Research Drive - Tamarac Business Center


Both applicants must provide the following to obtain a civil union license:
    • Proof of age:
          • Current U.S. driver's license, passport, original or certified copy of a birth certificate (Please note the name on the civil union license will appear
             exactly as it is on the ID you provide.)
    • $30 fee for the license

If an applicant cannot appear in person, the other applicant must apply in person and provide the following:
    • Absentee application completed, signed and notarized
    • Copy of the absent party's ID used for notarizing the affidavit

Divorced/Dissolved Applicants

If either applicant has previously been married or has previously been party to a civil union, provide the following in addition to the items listed above:
    • Name of previous spouse or partner
    • Date of divorce or dissolution (month/day/year)
    • Place of divorce or dissolution (city and state)
    • Type of court for the divorce or dissolution

Widowed Applicants

If either applicant is widowed, provide the following in addition to the items detailed above:
    • Date of death (month/day/year)
    • Place of death (city and state)

Age Requirements

Applicants for a civil union license must be 18 years of age or older. If 18 years of age or older and under legal guardianship, applicants require consent from their guardians.

View the legal guardian consent form.


Civil unions are prohibited if an applicant is already married or in another civil union. Unions between the following are also prohibited:
    • Ancestor and descendant
    • Siblings
    • Uncle and niece or uncle and nephew
    • Aunt and nephew or aunt and niece

Civil Union License Details
    • Civil union licenses must be used within 35 days from the date of issue, anywhere in Colorado
    • Civil union licenses may be obtained in any county, regardless of where the ceremony will take place in Colorado
    • Blood tests are not required