County Seal
Teller County Clerk and Recorder

Motor Vehicle Department

Location:  Teller County Courthouse - 101 W. Bennett Ave. Cripple Creek, CO 80813

Woodland Park Branch Office (Walk-in business only. No mail or deliveries)- 800 Research Drive, Suite 200 Tamarac Business Center Woodland Park, CO 80863

Office Hours:
Cripple Creek 8:00AM to 4:30PM - Woodland Park 7:30AM to 4:00PM (Except Holidays) / Woodland Park Branch closed for lunch from 11:30AM to 12:30PM


The Motor Vehicle Department provides services for titling, registering, licensing and registration renewal of all types of motor vehicles and trailers within Teller County. The department also verifies that vehicles are in compliance with mandatory insurance coverage.

Vehicle Registration Requirements

New Purchase:
Colorado is a title issuing state. A title is required to transfer ownership of a vehicle. If you are purchasing from a dealership, the dealership is required to supply all necessary documents. If you are purchasing from a private party, the seller should furnish the title to you. Proof of insurance is required along with secure and verifiable identification.

Out of State Vehicle Purchase (Non-Colorado Title):
The following documents are required:
    • Properly signed title. Notarization may be required
    • Disclosure of purchase price.
    • VIN verification - This form may be obtained from Colorado auto dealerships, law enforcement agencies.
    • Weight slips may be required.

Registering an Out of State Vehicle:
If you already own your vehicle but wish to register it in the State of Colorado, the following documents will be required:
    • Proof of ownership - A title or current registration listing your name as the current owner is acceptable as proof of ownership. Registration is only acceptable if you have a loan on the vehicle or if the vehicle is leased.
    • VIN verification - This form may be obtained from Colorado auto dealerships, law enforcement agencies.
    • Weight slips may be required.
    • Proof of insurance.
    • Secure and Verifiable Identification.

Sales and Use Tax:
Applicable sales and/or use tax is collected upon titling a vehicle. Teller County residents are required to pay 2.9% State sales tax and 1% County use tax. Additionally, city sales and/or use tax may be applicable. Click here for complete list of Motor Vehicle Sales Tax.  Tax is collected on the net selling price of each vehicle. 

Services Provided Include: 
 • Online Vehicle Registration Renewal
 • Change of Address Form for Vehicle Registration
 • License Plate Types
 • Motor Vehicle Sales Tax Info

Colorado Dept of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles
All Forms and Documents in Number Order
License Forms and Documents by Name
Vehicle Forms and Documents by Name


Motor Vehicle Registration business is processed at the Teller County Courthouse at 101 W. Bennett Ave. in Cripple Creek and at the Woodland Park Branch Office at 800 Research Drive, Suite #200 Tamarac Business Center in Woodland Park. Many of these transactions can be handled by telephone or mail.

Renewal Notices are mailed at the end of the month prior to expiration. If you have not received your Registration Renewal Postcard, please call our office at 719-689-2951 for the amount due.

Credit Card Logos
In a partnership with The Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles, the Teller County Motor Vehicle offices will begin accepting credit cards for all Motor Vehicle services. 
Please note that there is a convenience fee added to these transactions, which is 2.7% of the total amount of the transaction.